Sunday, November 2, 2014

Great Scot! pt. 1/5

Unlike in Canada the UK has more holidays throughout the school year, they have these week long breaks in the middle of each term which means that as a teacher I will get a chance to do a lot of travelling in the UK.

For my first half term vacation I decided that I wanted to visit Scotland. This was because the weather is still pretty nice and I can save vacations to warmer climes when the winter hits London. I also had the benefit of a travel friend in fellow teacher Bonnie. She had also wanted to visit the country and it was great to be able to go visit with her.

We decided to make Edinburgh our central place and from there would go exploring to other parts of the country.

It was a great choice. Edinburgh is a beautiful if very windy city. Nearly the entire city is preserved with both its Old Town and New Town being UNESCO world heritage sites.  If you ever have the chance to visit the UK make sure you include a stop up in Edinburgh. You won’t be disappointed.

Scotland also has a very Canadian feel to it. The people are friendly, if sometimes hard to understand. The landscape also is reminiscent of Ontario; the stretches of fields (which unlike Ontario has tonnes of sheep), the mountains that emerge as you go north and of course the numerous lakes or lochs as they call them in Scotland.

Two things that I did notice that will be something you notice if you ever visit. One, that there was very little reference to the referendum. It was of course brought up in the tours to explain a few things or to give an explanation as to why it lost. However there were no big signs and people didn’t seem to flaunting their choices.

The second thing is the utter disdain and mocking for the film Braveheart and Mel Gibson. They point out all the flaws of the story and portrayal and just rip apart this film.

In four days Bonnie and I were able to cram in 4 tours and a lot of exploring on our own. The next few posts will cover my trip, some history about the city and the country of Scotland. If you want to see all my photos feel free to check out my facebook page.







No comments:

Post a Comment