Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Hobbit - December 15th


I have been looking forward to seeing the Hobbit since it was announced that they were going to be making the novel into a movie. As some of you know I really loved the Lord of the Rings Trilogy – loved it so much that I saw each of the films a couple times in the theatre, and have watched the extended DVDs more than I can count.

The Hobbit had it’s premiere on the 14th and I would have gone that night, but I had other plans so I reserved the 15th to go see the movie. I went with two of my friends – Angelina and Bret – and it was a good way to end the day.

AHEAD ARE MINOR SPOILERS!!!!! IF YOU DON’T WANT TO BE SPOILED DON’T READ!!!!




The movie was action packed, funny and a little scary which is something that the other 3 films had as well.

The movie opened with the set up of the dwarves and the tale of Smaug. Almost like a prologue – which parallels the prologue scene of the first LOTR movie. From there it’s a recall to the first scenes of Hobbiton and The Shire from The Fellowship. Elijah Wood and Ian Holm introduce the movie and it sets it all within the same world. 

This was not the only tie to the LOTR films – there were a few scenes that set up the story that follows the events of The Hobbit. Though these scenes may have be absent from the actual novel it gives the movie more depth and allows the story to be more than just the children’s story that Tolkien wrote.

Having not read the book in over 10 years I was immediately swept up into the story of the dwarves reclaiming their home. All of this brought to life by wonderful filming and even better acting.

Ian McKellan as was - shown in the trilogy – the perfect choice to play Gandalf. This time though he was able to show off a little more of his comedic side, as well Gandalf gets a little more fighting and action, which I really liked to see.

Martin Freeman was perfectly cast as Bilbo. He wonderfully plays the contradictions of the character. He nails Bilbo’s desire to go on an adventure, while still saying “no” and that Baggins’ don’t go out on an adventures. An actor who can play a slacker office worker, a scared space traveller and a modern John Watson captures the spirit of a hobbit. The scene where he is introduced to the dwarves was one of my favourites, as was the riddle competition between Bilbo and Gollum – both of these scenes prove that Martin Freeman is the ideal Bilbo.

Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield was great. I haven’t seen him in anything and didn’t know his skills as an actor. He brings this sadness and strength to Thorin and I was very impressed.

The filming of the movie was just as epic as the trilogy. I didn’t see the film in the 3D 48fps version so I am not sure how that actually changes the visuals, but I was very awed by the way that the movie comes to life on the screen. What was really nice to see is that being set 60 years earlier everything about the sets is more lush and green then what is seen in the trilogy.

I was disappointed in some of the overuse of the CGI – mostly on the orcs and the goblins. What I really liked in the original trilogy was the prosthetics and actors in these roles. It gave these monsters substance and I think made them more terrifying. In The Hobbit all these monsters done on computer and I think it takes away from the movie. It really was too fake and distracting and I think it would have been beneficial to have some of these characters be “real”. However the CGI of Gollum was better. He seems more real and terrifying then he did in the trilogy.

The last thing that made the movie intense was the music. Howard Shore is what brings the whole movie together. From the sweep hopeful music playing over the shire, to the deep chanting and drums of the mines he sets the tone.

Over all I really enjoyed the movie. I’m not sure if it’s as good as trilogy – but I’ll have to wait and see.

4/5 Stars.

ps. next review will be Les Miserables which will becoming out on the 21st. 

No comments:

Post a Comment